A. There are two variables in every DVI connector, and each represents one characteristic.
The flat pin on one side denotes whether the cable is digital or analog:
- A flat pin with four surrounding pins is either DVI-I or DVI-A
- A flat pin alone denotes DVI-D
The pinsets vary depending on whether the cable is single-link, dual-link, or analog:
- Two separated 9-pin sets (rows of 6) for a single-link cable
- A solid 24-pin set (rows of 8) for a dual-link cable
- A separated 8-pin and 4-pin set is for DVI-A.